How to Make a Christmas Cake Gallery? Traditional and yeast-free gallery recipes.
Stolen – traditional German pastry, which by its shape and white color is supposed to “look like” the infant Christ wrapped in a diaper. The gallery was first mentioned in writing in 1329 as a Christmas offering to the bishop, and in Dresden the gallery called “Bread of Christ” was first mentioned in 1474 in an invoice issued to the court of Dresden. Stolen consumed y Christmas fast, therefore, the yeast dough was prepared in water with the addition of rapeseed oil. Only later, with the Pope’s consent, was it allowed to change the oil for butter. Later, the idea of adding fruits and nuts to the Christmas gallery arose.
READ ALSO: Christmas wreath 2022 with your own hands: make your own Christmas decoration
The most common type of gallery is stuffed with raisins and candied fruit, although recipes with poppy seeds, nuts or marzipan are also popular. Robat is prepared from butter yeast dough. It is important to follow the proportions: for example, for the gallery with candied fruit: for 10 kg of flour use at least 3 kg of butter and 6 kg of candied lemon and orange fruit. After baking, the gallery is soaked in melted butter and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Galleries are baked in advance, sometimes a month before Christmas. They can be stored in a cool place for several months.
ALSO READ: Gingerbread cookies for the winter holidays: 4 recipes for traditional holiday cooking
Classic oil gallery
- wheat flour 500 g
- 300 g butter for dough and 50 g for lubrication
- warm milk 250 ml
- almond flour 100 g
- sugar 85 g
- fresh yeast 50 g
- 1 tablespoon spice mix (cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, anise, allspice) to taste
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar
For the filling:
- panses 200 g
- dates 100 g
- candied 100 g
- dried cherries or blueberries 100 g
- a mixture of any nuts 100 g
- orange (juice and zest) 1 unit
- lemon (grated) 1 unit
- rum, brandy, brandy or any other aromatic alcohol 100 ml
Recipe for a classic oil gallery
1. It is best to prepare the filling in advance: you can do it a couple of hours before cooking the Christmas gallery, but it is better for a day or at least at night. Any nuts and nuts are suitable for filling. To prepare the filling, mix the washed and slightly dried raisins with cherries or blueberries, the nuts in large pieces are added to the raisins with cherries. Cut the candied fruit into small pieces, remove the stone from the dates and cut into large pieces. Grate the orange and lemon zest with a fine grater. Squeeze the orange juice, you will get about 100 ml. Add alcohol to the orange juice. Pour the liquid over the prepared fruit with nuts, stir and let it infuse.
2. To prepare the yeast dough, mix it with a teaspoon of sugar. Pour half of the warm milk into the yeast and stir until the yeast dissolves. Place the puree in a warm place to make it lush and start frothing.
3. While the dough arrives, add flour, sugar, salt and spices to the bowl. Add the other half of the milk and the curd.
4. Knead the dough for 10 minutes. Then add the softened butter to the dough and knead until combined with the dough. Let the dough rest for an hour and a half. Transfer the soft and tender dough finished in a large bowl, add almond flour.
5. Add all the filling along with the liquid to the dough and mix well. The dough will be very soft and sticky. Place it on a floured table.
6. Divide the dough into two parts, flatten each to a thickness of about 2 cm and make a hole in the edge of the palm, backing a third of the edge. Roll the dough over this tooth.
7. Place the pieces of dough on a sheet covered with parchment. Leave them in a warm place for 35-45 minutes for them to rise.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 60-70 minutes until reddish. Grease the hot galleries finished with butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
9. When the gallery has cooled, wrap it in parchment paper and then foil to prevent air from entering. Mature galleries at room temperature.
ALSO READ: The perfect Christmas cake: 3 simple recipes
Photo: Pixabay / Color
Christmas gallery with marzipan
- Nuts 150 g
- Lemon 1 unit
- Cognac 25 ml
- Chicken egg 2-3 units
- Milk 25 ml
- Mel 25 g
- Fresh yeast 13 g
- Ground anise (star anise) ½ g
- Ground cardamom ½ g
- Chopped Carnation ½ d
- ground Jamaican pepper ½ g
- Nutmeg ½ g
- Wheat flour 250 g
- Butter 120 g
- Marzipan 60 g
Recipe for the Christmas gallery with marzipan
1. Soak the nuts and grated lemon in a brandy overnight. To do this, put everything in a bowl, cover with a lid or clear film.
2. Mix eggs, 25 ml cold milk, liquid honey. Add yeast, 4 grams of salt and spices. Add flour. Mix until all the ingredients stick into a thick paste. If the breast is dry or the dough will settle for a long time, add a little cold milk, about 15 ml. The exact amount will depend on the moisture content of the flour. Continue to knead for about 10 minutes.
3. Start adding butter to the smooth dough. It should keep its shape, but be soft and not hot. Cut it into cubes and add it one by one so that the structure of the dough changes little by little. Just add 100 grams of butter.
4. Continue kneading the dough for another 10 minutes until a gluten-free window appears: the state of the dough when it is not broken but stretched. Then add the nuts and zest, also slowly.
5. Cover the dough and leave it at room temperature for 30-40 minutes. Then stretch and hug with your hands to release the air, stretch it into a small rectangle, visually divide it into three parts, stretch the edges, and bend the right side to the left. A small roll will come out. Leave for another hour and a half, then remove and repeat the same operation. Leave for another hour and a half. Remove, form a ball of dough, leave for another 40 minutes.
6. Get the dough, kneading it gently with your hands to form a rectangle. Bleed for the marzipan in the middle. Put rolled marzipan with sausage. Cover the marzipan with the dough on one side and on the other to make it look like a diaper. Hide the edges of the marzipan under the dough so they don’t burn. Leave the dough under the lid for an hour and a half and then send it to the preheated oven at 170-180 degrees for 30 minutes.
7. Get the gallery, greased with cold butter. Allow the oil to absorb and let the gallery cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. If desired, garnish with berries, nuts, marzipan, candied fruit.
ALSO READ: Christmas Lunch – Songs for Everyday Dishes (Recipes)
Yeastless Christmas Gallery (recipe by Yevhen Klopotenko)
- 300 g of flour
- 50 g almonds (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon. Copper powder
- 1 teaspoon. Vanilla sugar
- 150 g of sugar
- 1r. l. Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- 0.5 teaspoons. Cardamom (ground)
- 150 g of cheese (cottage cheese)
- 50 g Candied fruit
- 50 g Panses
- 50 g cherries (dried)
- 1 pc. You
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g butter
- 100 ml of brandy (or rum)
- 1 pc. orange
- 150 ml of water
- 3 stars Bodyan
- 100 g of sugar
Yeastless Christmas Gallery Recipe
1. Candied fruit (50 g), raisins (50 g) and dried cherries (50 g) are soaked in brandy or rum for 20 minutes. Drain the remaining liquid. Beat the almonds (50 g) in a bowl with a blender or coffee grinder. Mix in a bowl wheat flour, almond flour, sugar, salt, vanilla sugar, yeast, ground cardamom. Stir with a spoon until smooth.
2. Add egg, cheese, softened butter, half-orange juice. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
3. Add the pre-soaked candied fruit to the dough and mix well. The plastic dough should come out. If it is very dry, add a little more orange juice.
4. Grate the skin of an orange into the dough and knead well again so that the skin is evenly distributed.
5. Form an oblong bread-shaped gallery and place it on a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. While the gallery is cooking, make the syrup. Mix in a saucepan 100 g powdered sugar and 150 ml water, add 3 stars of star anise and bring to a boil. Boil the syrup over low heat for about 10 minutes, remove from the heat and let it harden.
6. Remove the finished gallery from the oven, let it cool, soak it in syrup (you can pour syrup with a spoon or spread the gallery several times with a kitchen brush). Sprinkle the gallery with icing sugar. Garnish with anise and orange zest if desired.
How to cook balls with hominy and cheese – look at the recipe
News on the subject