This is almost an original way to make the famous salad, but instead of sparse rooster, in this version, an unusual ingredient.
There are many options for making Olivier salad. By the way, the recipe belongs to the chef of the Moscow restaurant “Hermitage”, French Lucien Olivier, who worked in a privileged kitchen in the 1860s.
Among the gourmets were real legends about the taste of this amazing salad, but Olivier did not tell the world the secret of its preparation. Only after a while did the first attempts to reveal the recipe appear.
In one of the first versions published in the magazine “Our Food” were mentioned potatoes, fresh cucumbers, fried chicken, capers, olives. Provencal and Kabul sauces were used to season the classic Olivier.
Olivier later moved to normal kitchens. However, with some changes. Instead of rooster, boiled sausage was added to the Olivier and capers and olives were replaced with pickled pickles and peas. The only thing that remains unchanged – refueling “Provencal”. Below is a recipe for the original Olivier, but instead of sparse rooster, in this version: veal tongue.
- 5 potatoes (approximately 450 g)
- 300 g of boiled beef tongue
- 1-2 fresh cucumbers
- 50 g of olives
- 30 g of capers
- 200 g of prepared mayonnaise or quail egg sauce.
Cooking time: 2 hours.
Step by step preparation:
1. Separately, boil potatoes and beef tongue, add spices to flavor.
2. Peeled potatoes, diced, tongue and cucumber. The olives can be added whole or chopped. Add capers. Salt and pepper to taste. Season with mayonnaise and mix. The Olivier is ready according to a 100-year-old recipe and can be served.
3. You can take home-made mayonnaise or cook it yourself. To do this, put 5 quail eggs, 200 ml of vegetable oil, 1 tbsp. l. lemon juice, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 teaspoon. salt, 1/2 teaspoon. mustard, pepper to taste.
Dip a hand mixer into the bowl so that the cone with the knife completely covers the yolks. Turn on the “turbo” mode, if not – top speed, and about 5-10 seconds (depending on the power of your mixer) hold still to the bottom of the emulsion. Now gradually lift the leg of the blender until all the oil is combined with the resulting dough. The cooking process will not take more than a minute.
Video version of the recipe:
Find more recipes on Dmytro Doroshenko’s website www.bene-usto.com
Read more recipes in the “Cooking” section.