When is the Corner of Hunger at the New Year’s Eve? Recipe from the hungry corner.
Hungry, generous and rich box – These are the traditional varieties of food prepared in Ukraine for the winter holidays of the winter cycle church: Christmas, generous evening i Epiphany. Kutia on Christmas Eve is called rich, kutia on Christmas Eve – generous, and the third and final kutia on Christmas and New Year holidays is called famine. When and how to cook hungry kutia?
Hungry Kutia: when it comes to cooking, traditions
The hungry corner has to be cooked the eve of the Epiphany, January 18th. This date is also called Another Christmas Eve. He is “famous” because he did not eat anything all day before the second Christmas Eve, and also because that day the holy souls and the Generous God were no longer called. The dinner on January 18th must be a song. There should be an odd number of dishes on the table, and in addition to the corner, other important dishes for the evening before the Epiphany are the balls with cabbage, fish, buckwheat pancakes, and compote.
January 18 kutia famolenc: recipe
The hungry kutia is usually prepared only with grain and honey, but you can also add nuts. Pearl barley is most often used for this corner, but it is possible to prepare a corner with wheat, bulgur, etc.
Ingredients for hungry pearl barley:
- 0.5 tbsp. pearl barley
- Nuts (raisins or plums)
- Honey (to taste).
To cook in a hungry corner you need:
- 3 liters of water
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 350-400 g of nuts.
ALSO READ: Lydia Taran’s homemade recipe: “It’s great when all the members have lived together, insisted and will sing in a chorus”
How to cook hungry kutia in compote:
- Perlovka should be washed, filled with cold water and allowed to infuse: you can do this for a few hours or spend the night.
- Boil the cereal. If you do this in a multicooker, set the mode to “buckwheat / porridge / pilaf”. In this case, the proportion will be 0.5 cups of pearl barley for 2 cups of water.
- Buy poppy seeds and pour boiling water. If you have it dry, leave it in boiling water for half an hour, then drain the water and grind.
- If you plan to add nuts to the finished corner, they should also be filled with boiling water for a few minutes. Pour in the dried fruit that will go into the compote for half an hour.
- Drain the water in which the nuts were soaked, fill them with three liters of cold water and place them on a plate.
- Bring the compote to a boil. Then remove from heat, cover and let infuse. When the compote has cooled to a warm state, add honey. Cool the compote and then the “last touches”: pour the corner, add poppy seeds, nuts, nuts and honey. Stir in the result and serve. Good luck!
See how Yegor Gordeyev was preparing a corner for a generous afternoon at the breakfast studio:
News on the subject