The most important thing is to carefully squeeze the liquid from the grated potatoes. To make the zeppelins white and not dark, add a little lemon juice to the potatoes.
Zeppelins – a recipe for Lithuanian food / Photo: instagram.com/rainydaybites
There are many similar dishes in Lithuania in terms of composition and a similar principle of preparation, we wrote about shvilpikai potato rhombuses. Be sure to try it if possible.
Zeppelins are one of the main dishes in the country, most often prepared with minced meat.
Suitable zeppelins are made from grated raw potatoes, from which the liquid must be carefully squeezed.
On grated potatoes you need to add a little mashed potatoes.
Served with fried lard and onion, always with sour cream.
The recipe was found at herringinfurs.blogspot.com. The food blogger advises cooking zeppelins at the same time so that they have a nice white color.
Zeppelins with minced pork
Zeppelins with minced pork / Photo: instagram.com/simple_food_by_wal
- 350 g minced pork;
- 1 small light bulb;
- 2.5 kg of potatoes;
- 2 st. l. (with a slide) of potato starch (plus 2 tablespoons more for cooking);
- salt and ground black pepper.
- 300 g lard with strips of meat;
- sour cream.
And here you will learn how to prepare borsch with ears with dried mushrooms in Lithuania.
How to cook:
- Chop the minced meat and combine with the minced meat. Add salt and pepper, mix well.
- Peel the potatoes. Boil two potatoes in salted water until cooked through. Knead into a puree.
- Grate the remaining potatoes in a fine grater. Drain the liquid carefully, place it with a gauze. To prevent the potatoes from darkening, you can add a little lemon juice. Starch should be left.
- Combine grated raw potatoes, boiled mashed potatoes, starch from the bottom of the bowl and 2 additional tablespoons. l. starch. Add salt to taste and mix well. The dough should be quite dense and not wet.
- Spread a good portion of potato dough on the palm, forming a large oval cake about 2 cm thick.
- In the center of the cake to arrange 2 tablespoons. l. minced. Form the zeppelin carefully, giving it an oval shape.
- Boil water in a large saucepan, 2 tbsp. l. starch mixed with a little cold water. Add the diluted starch to a saucepan with water.
- Reduce heat, gently lower the zeppelins (several pieces), increase the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- At this point, cut the lard into cubes or small strips 1 cm thick.
- Fry until golden. Add salt in the middle of the process.
- Serve the zeppelins with toast and sour cream.
And in Germany delicious potato balls are prepared, this is not an independent dish, but a side dish. How to make them – look here.